Whites Bay is named after a Black American known as Black Jack White who, in 1828, deserted his whaling ship and took up residence with local Māori. They in turn had long used the bay as a base for fishing expeditions in Cook Strait.
In 1866, Whites Bay became the South Island terminus of an inter-island telegraph cable. The original cable station still exists. Some of the original forest also remains, although much was burned in the early years of European settlement and is still regenerating.
Easy walking track
2.7km (1 hour return or 1.5 hours to do the loop)
Follow State Highway 1 to Tua Marina (9km north of Blenheim). Turn off at Tua Marina and continue through to Rarangi, before climbing steeply over rugged hills. Whites Bay is 15km from Tua Marina. Alternatively drive 41km from Picton along the unsealed Port Underwood Road.