Saulo Camillo Nunes
"We all know the virus is contagious, but love is even more contagious. By doing good things and being kind to others, you will inspire someone else to do the same or even join your cause."
top Must Dos
Marlborough Wine & Food Festival
Fresh Marlborough seafood
Marking Gramado's Restaurant And Bar eight year anniversary during lockdown, was bittersweet for my wife and business partner Emma and I.
Lockdown gave us a chance to reflect on what a fantastic eight years it’s been, but we were also worried about what was going on around the world, and the future of our business and staff and the community.
On May 24 we cooked meals for 38 families for free to reach out to people in the community who were struggling through these hard times.
May 24 is important to me, because it is the date my father died. But instead of sitting on the couch, feeling sad and missing my dad, I was determined to direct those feelings into doing something better, something he could be proud of.
The response from the community was so big, we had 350 names nominated, plus offers of help and support from countless others who were inspired to do something good.
Liz from Arbour got in touch and we decided to do something more for people in Marlborough, who through circumstances completely out of their control had been having a tough time due to Covid-19.
So on July 12, Gramado’s and Arbour together with Karaka Cuisine, Feast Merchants and BV Gourmet, plus many many of our suppliers and other generous local businesses, are hosting a barbecue picnic for 500 people in the vineyards behind Arbour.
It will be a day of fun and joy for our guests, with music and a simple yet beautiful Brazilian barbecue and salads.
The community support has been stronger than we ever dreamed. About 80 percent of the mail I have received is from people who are willing to help or make donations. The other 20 percent is from people nominating deserving individuals and families.
We could have kept doing our thing in Gramado’s, but by coming together it makes our region better for everyone. And if everyone is feeling supported and doing well, then our entire region will be stronger for it. Times may be tough, but we can get through it better together.
We all know the virus is contagious, but love is even more contagious. By doing good things and being kind to others, you will inspire someone else to do the same or even join your cause.